10 Ways To Create A Near-Future World That Won’t Look Too Dated
I saw this great article on io9 that had some great points about creating a near-future world. In roleplaying we have to create new worlds/places all the time – some games more than others I suppose. We all have to create at least one world, the world of our roleplay, but we might also create places our characters visit. And if your game is a scifi spaceship game, each planet they visit might be a completely different world which you have to create and describe.
Creating a scifi world that is plausable and also gives your characters something to do can be a challenge.
In short the list from the article is this:
- Avoid brand names and current pop references
- Make it radically weird in some ways, but familiar in others
- Don’t just extrapolate in a straight line from current trends
- Pay attention to demographic trends, not social ones
- Look at what technologies are coming soon
- But don’t buy the hype about tech progress
- Introduce a few dramatic changes, then follow the dominoes
- Avoid current slang
- Remember that subcultures develop organically
- Keep the politics vague, but also highly specific
…for more detail, check out the article itself, it also has some fantastic images!