Flashback Week is a week-long writing event where writers and roleplayers were encouraged to think about something that happened in their characters past. The event doesn’t have a physical location, there’s no fee, and there’s barely any rules – only to write a flashback about your character and your story and tell everyone about it. Oh, and to have fun! There’s also a competition for the best flashback story (see below).
The competition is now closed. The winner was announced here.
Flashback week 2013 starts August 31st, ending September 7th. If you’re roleplaying in that week, make sure to include a flashback!
Using flashbacks in your story is great for character building, and helps to flesh out your character’s back-story. If you’re not sure what to write about in your Flashback, see our 10 ideas for some examples, and why flashbacks are important.
Yes, there will be a competition for the best flashback story! We have a panel of judges from a wide range of roleplaying games which will pick their favourite stories.
The closing date for the competition will be midnight GMT on September 7th. It’d be great if you could get your entry to us as soon as possible though, so our judges can read them & decide the winner pretty swiftly. We’ll announce the results as soon as possible afterwards.
The competition prize is a special limited edition OngoingWorlds mug. You’ll be able to proudly to show this to your friends to boast about your accomplishment! (and have a lovely warm coffee at the same time).
Here’s some previous winners with their mugs. Aimee won First Person Fortnight competition last year, for her story “Not All Bad Out Here”.
Sabrina from USS Victory won last year’s Way Back When Week competition. Here she is posing as her character.
Competition rules & terms
There has to be some rules for the competition! Here they are:
- Your story should not be any longer than 1,500 words.
- Your story must be a flashback for an existing character, not a brand new story.
- Your story must be written in English.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By submitting your story you agree to grant OngoingWorlds free of charge, the right to publish your story online and in all media as required (we will never sell your story, and your rights are reserved).
- Your entry must be entirely your own original work, not defame anybody nor breach any copyright.
- OngoingWorlds reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaches any of these rules.
The competition is now closed.
How you can help – spread the word!
We need your help to let other roleplayers know about this competition. If you’re the first to hear about flashback week in your game, make sure you let other members know too, so that you can all work on flashbacks together.
If you’re the GM of your own game, why not have your own competition for the best flashback amongst your members? We’d also appreciate it a lot of you mentioned flashback week on Twitter or Facebook, to spread the word to other roleplayers. We’ll be posting plenty of encouragement, so sharing or re-tweeting those would be very helpful. Thanks!