Now that Back to the Future Day is over, it’s time to plan FallFest!
Back to the Future has long been one of my favorite movie franchises. Indeed, the original 1985 film was probably my favorite movie for a good portion of my childhood. It had everything you could possibly want from a classic 80s flick… plus time travel! Even though Marty McFly and Doc Brown didn’t find simming and online role playing in 2015, we’re still here!
With that in mind, it’s time for us to plan the community’s premier event: The Simming Fall Festival! And this year we’ll be celebrating FallFest V! FallFest is a one-day online convention held annually in IRC chatrooms for anything and everything simming and online role playing. We remember our past and look toward our future. It generally runs for about seven hours. The first FallFest was held in 2011, and was intended to be a mini-SciWorld more friendly to European timezones. It has since grown into much, much more.
But first, we need a host and a chair!
The host is a club or sim that partners with Ongoing Worlds to make FallFest a reality and success. The chair is an individual from the host club who serves as the point person to coordinate the schedule, advertising, and logistics. More specifically, the host and chair will work with the Ongoing Worlds staff to:
- Select a date and time for festival (typically before Thanksgiving).
- Design a unique 2015 logo (last year’s logo is to the right).
- Recruit approximately 8-12 volunteers to each run individual one-hour events.
- Work with those volunteers to create unique and engaging events (discussions, sims, and trivia games) that represent and support the interests of the broader community.
- Create or provide three IRC chat rooms.
- Promote and advertise the festival.
- Host opening and closing ceremonies on the day of the festival.
- Attend all FallFest events (usually two at the same time) to ensure that they run smoothly.
- Be ready to improvise when things don’t go as planned.
- Post-festival, provide a list of lessons learned for next year’s team.
The host should be a strong, robust club or sim willing to provide the chair with the required volunteers and resources. Members of the host club/sim must also be ready to attend the festival to help make it a success. In short, the host must fully back the chair.
The chair must be highly organized, self-motivated, and possess superior attention to detail. More importantly, he or she should be patient with others and willing to compromise when necessary. It takes a special person to run FallFest. 🙂 It’s a big job!
Applicants will be judged by the OngoingWorlds Board of Advisors based on the above criteria. Specifically, applicants should highlight their past experiences and show how those experiences make them the ideal team to lead FallFest V. This year’s host & chair will be introduced shortly after the application window is closed. Unsuccessful applicants will not be revealed to the public. I will notify all applicants of the selection before the official announcement. Additional information may be requested from applicants before a decision is reached. All questions should be directed to me at star[dot]idf[at]gmail[dot]com
FallFest is a special time for everyone, but especially for the host & chair. For a few short hours, the entire simming and online role playing community will circle around you–It is the biggest event in simming. The memories will last a lifetime.
Applications will be accepted through October 31st. All fields are required.
Why not you?