That’s right, it’s time once again to plan the online roleplaying community’s premier event: The Simming Fall Festival (aka FallFest). This will be the 6th festival since our beginnings back in 2011.
For those who may be new to the Ongoing Worlds blog, FallFest is a one-day online convention held annually in IRC chatrooms for anything and everything simming and online role playing. We remember our past and look to our future. It generally runs for about seven hours and includes multiple discussions, trivia games, and live role plays. Originally intended to be a mini-SciWorld more friendly to European timezones, FallFest has since grown into much, much more.
We need a host & chairperson to make it all happen…
The host is a club or sim that partners with Ongoing Worlds to make FallFest a reality and success. The chair is an individual from the host club who serves as the point person to coordinate the schedule, advertising, and logistics. More specifically, the host and chair will work with the Ongoing Worlds staff to:
- Select a date and time for festival (typically before Thanksgiving).
- Design a unique 2016 festival logo.
- Recruit approximately 8-12 volunteers to run individual one-hour events.
- Work with those volunteers to create unique and engaging events (discussions, sims, and trivia games) that represent and support the interests of the broader community.
- Create or provide three IRC chat rooms.
- Promote and advertise the festival.
- Host opening and closing ceremonies on the day of the festival.
- Attend all FallFest events (usually two at the same time) to ensure that they run smoothly.
- Be ready to improvise when things don’t go as planned.
- Post-festival, provide a list of lessons learned for next year’s team.
The host should be a strong, robust club or sim willing to provide the chair with the required volunteers and resources. Members of the host club/sim must also be ready to attend the festival to help make it a success. In short, the host must fully back the chair.
The chair must be highly organized, self-motivated, and possess superior attention to detail. More importantly, he or she should be patient with others and willing to compromise when necessary. It takes a special person and to run FallFest–it’s a HUGE job!
Applications will be judged by the OngoingWorlds Board of Advisors based on the above criteria. Specifically, applicants should highlight their past experiences and capabilities and show how those traits make them the ideal team to plan & lead FallFest VI. This year’s host & chair will be introduced shortly after the application window is closed. Unsuccessful applicants will not be revealed to the public. I will notify all applicants of the selection before the official announcement. Additional information may be requested from applicants before a decision is reached. All questions should be directed to me at star[dot]idf[at]gmail[dot]com
FallFest is a special time for everyone, but especially for the host & chair. For a few short hours, the entire simming and online role playing community will circle around you–It is the biggest event in simming. Those memories will last a lifetime.
Applications will be accepted through September 9th. All fields are required.
Why not you?
Best of luck to all applicants!
We would also like to announce that Diego Herrera has resigned his position on the Ongoing Worlds Board of Advisors due to real life time constraints. We wish Diego the best of luck and hope to see more of him sometime down the road!