That’s right, host/chair applications are now being accepted for the biggest simming event of the year: FallFest 2013! That statement immediately begs two questions:
First, what is FallFest?
FallFest is short for the Simming Fall Festival. It’s an annual one-day extravaganza sponsored by Ongoing Worlds that’s dedicated to everything about or relating to online simming and role playing. It takes place over the course of several hours in IRC chatrooms and will feature chat role plays, interactive games, and topical discussions & workshops. Participants get to meet other role players from around the globe, learn more about their craft, and have fun all at the same time. Each FallFest is open to everyone in our growing community, regardless of rank or club affiliation elsewhere. It’s always a blast!
Second, what is a host and chair?
The host is a club or sim that partners with Ongoing Worlds to make FallFest a reality and success. The chair is an individual from the host club who serves as the point person to coordinate the schedule, advertising, and logistics. More specifically, the host and chair will work with the Ongoing Worlds staff to:
- Select a date and time for festival (sometime in September or October).
- Design a unique 2013 logo (last year’s logo is above).
- Find approximately 8-12 volunteers to run individual one-hour events.
- Work with those volunteers to create unique and engaging events that represent and support interests of the broader community.
- Create or provide two IRC chat rooms.
- Promote and advertise the festival.
- Host opening and closing ceremonies on the day of the festival.
- Attend all FallFest events (usually two at the same time) and ensure that they run smoothly.
- Be ready to improvise when things don’t go as planned.
- Post-festival, provide a list of lessons learned for next year’s team.
FallFest ’12 was hosted by the independent sim USS Asimov, and chaired by the Asimov’s Captain, Jonathan Swift. Those who attended last year know that Jonathan and the Asimov set the bar high! Indeed, Jonathan was awarded the first Squiddie for his excellent performance. So what qualities are we looking for in a potential host and chair this year?
The host must be a robust club or sim willing to provide the chair with the required resources and volunteers. Members of the host club/sim must be ready to attend the festival and help make it a success. In short, the host must fully back he chair.
The chair must be highly organized, self-motivated, and possess superior attention to detail. More importantly, he or she should be patient with others and willing to compromise when necessary. It takes a special person to run FallFest. 🙂 It’s a big job!
Enough already, where’s the application?
Applicants will be judged by the Ongoing Worlds staff based on the criteria mentioned above. Specifically, applicants should highlight their past experiences and show how those experiences make them the ideal team to lead FallFest this year. This year’s host & chair will be introduced in early September. Unsuccessful applicants will not be revealed to the public. Charles Star will notify all applicants of the selection via the chair’s email address before the official announcement. Additional information may be requested before a decision is reached. All questions should be directed to Charles at email@example.com
Applications will be accepted through August 31st. All fields are required.