FallFest 2018, Anyone?
It’s time to select a FallFest host! Well, it’s actually past time! We held SciWorld later than usual this year and wanted there to still be a good gap between the two. Anyway, we’re now accepting applications to host and chair the online roleplaying community’s premier event: The Simming Fall Festival (aka FallFest). This will be our 8th festival since beginning back in 2011.
For those who may be new to the Ongoing Worlds blog, FallFest is a one-day online convention held annually in Internet chat rooms for anything and everything simming and online role playing. We remember our past and look to our future. It generally runs for a few hours and includes multiple discussions, trivia games, and live role plays. Originally intended to be a mini-SciWorld more friendly to European timezones, FallFest has since grown into much more.
We need a host & chair to make it all happen
The host is a club that partners with Ongoing Worlds to make FallFest a reality and success. The chair is an individual from the host club who serves as the point person to coordinate the schedule, advertising, and logistics. More specifically, the host and chair will work with the Ongoing Worlds staff to:
- Select a date and time for festival (somewhere between Thanksgiving & Christmas this year)
- Design a unique 2018 festival logo. Last year’s logo is above.
- Recruit approximately 8-12 volunteers to run individual one-hour events.
- Work with those volunteers to create unique and engaging events (discussions, sims, and trivia games) that represent and support the interests of the broader community.
- Create or provide three chat rooms.
- Promote and advertise the festival.
- Host opening and closing ceremonies on the day of the festival.
- Attend all FallFest events (usually two at the same time) to ensure that they run smoothly.
- Be ready to improvise when things don’t go as planned.
- Post-festival, provide a list of lessons learned for next year’s team.
The host should be a strong, robust club willing to provide the chair with the required volunteers and resources. Members of the host club/sim must also be ready to attend the festival to help make it a success. In short, the host must fully back the chair.
The chair must be highly organized, self-motivated, and possess superior attention to detail. More importantly, he or she should be patient with others and willing to compromise when necessary. It takes a special person and to run FallFest–it’s a BIG job!
Applications will be judged by the Ongoing Worlds Board of Advisors based on the above criteria. Applicants should highlight their past experiences and capabilities and show how those traits make them the ideal team to plan & lead FallFest VIII. Due to the shortened timeline this year, the host & chair may be selected before the application window closes. Unsuccessful applicants will not be revealed to the public. I will notify all applicants of the selection before the official announcement. Additional information may be requested from applicants before a decision is reached.
The application window will close on November 20th at 11:59pm EST. All applications should be emailed to star (dot) idf (at) gmail (dot) com. If you do not receive a receipt confirmation email within 24 hours, please resubmit. Requested information:
- Host name (club)
- Host URL
- Year Host was founded
- Chair (person)
- Chair’s e-mail address
- Year Chair began simming
- Why should this host & chair be selected? (≤ 250 words)
FallFest is a special time for everyone, but especially for the host & chair. For a few short hours, the entire simming and online role playing community will circle around you–It is the biggest event in simming. Those memories will last a lifetime.
Best of luck to all applicants! And for everyone else, see you at FallFest VIII!