In case you live under a rock and haven’t yet heard, FallFest VII is on Saturday. That’s right, on December 9th at 2:30 pm GMT (London), 8:30 am EST (New York), 5:30 am PST (San Francisco), we’ll officially kick off the 2017 Simming Fall Festival. Click here to see the current line up of events and how to join the festivities. Zachary O’Connell and his leadership team from Bravo Fleet and other clubs have quite the extravaganza scheduled for us.
It doesn’t matter if you’re into Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr. Who, or something else entirely. Or if you prefer chat sims, play by e-mail, or message boards. If you’re a simmer or online role player of any persuasion, there will be something there for you! So what do you really get out of FallFest? Here are 4 reasons you should attend on Saturday:
- You’ll get to rub elbows with many prominent members of our community. In fact, some of the most successful and influential role players and simming leaders in history will be attending and facilitating events. Learn from the best!
- You’ll hear about the latest and most innovative techniques and strategies for leading a successful role play. Indeed, there will be multiple events dedicated to running better games. Discover what’s working for others now!
- You’ll be able to role play with others from different clubs and genres. With a diverse set of hosts and settings, you’ll experience a wide range of concepts and ideas. Challenge the simming norms and help break barriers!
- You’ll have fun! All simmers and online role players, regardless of rank or club affiliation, are invited to attend and participate. There’s no way to energize your sim than to come back with a fresh perspective.
See you there!
It gives me great pleasure to announce that 2017 Squiddie winner Bravo Fleet will be hosting FallFest VII on December 9th, 2017! Bravo Fleet’s own Zachary O’Connell will serve as the chairman. Bravo Fleet is a fantastic club with a storied history. We have no doubt that they’ll put on an absolutely wonderful festival a month from today. Oh yeah, Zachary O’Connell’s pretty cool too!
If you’ve never heard of FallFest (officially the Ongoing Worlds Fall Festival), it’s a time when the entire simming and online roleplaying community comes together for a few short hours in online chat rooms for engaging discussions, interactive trivia games, and live chat role plays. In short, we share ideas, information, and energy! Zachary and Bravo Fleet are on point to plan, advertise, and execute the festival. Indeed, it takes a lot of work to make FallFest happen! Continue reading FallFest VII. December 9th. Be there.
It’s that time of year again… actually a little past that time of year. 😉 Well anyway, we’re now accepting applications to host and chair the online roleplaying community’s premier event: The Simming Fall Festival (aka FallFest). This will be our 7th festival since beginning back in 2011.
For those who may be new to the Ongoing Worlds blog, FallFest is a one-day online convention held annually in Internet chatrooms for anything and everything simming and online role playing. We remember our past and look to our future. It generally runs for a few hours and includes multiple discussions, trivia games, and live role plays. Originally intended to be a mini-SciWorld more friendly to European timezones, FallFest has since grown into much more.
We need a host & chair to make it all happen
Continue reading FallFest Applications Now Being Accepted!
Earlier this year, we asked the simming & online role playing community to nominate their very best for our pinnacle award, the Ongoing Worlds Medal for Superior Online Role Playing (affectionally known as the Squiddie). You responded with 19 nominations for 17 different people, games, and clubs. And my what an outstanding group it was! The consistent high-caliber of the nominees made our job of picking winners extremely difficult. For that reason, I want to personally thank everyone for providing us such a great group to choose from… even though it made our job more challenging.
If you recall, Squiddies are awarded to only one person, one game, and one club each year. The prizes come in three categories (Excellence in Role Playing, Originality & Innovation, and Facilitating the Community Experience) and are awarded primary for actions during the prior calendar year. In this case, 2016. Without any further ado, here are your 2017 Ongoing Worlds Medal for Superior Online Role Playing Laureates… Continue reading Congratulations to our 2017 Squiddie Award Winners!
Congratulations to all of our 2017 Squiddie Nominees! After our May post, we received 7 nominations for 6 people, 6 nominations for 6 games, and 6 nominations for 5 clubs. In case you lost count, that’s 19 total nominations for 17 different entities. While it’s down from our usual ~30 nominees, we still have many absolutely outstanding candidates. I can assure you that the competition certainly is fierce this year! The level of commitment, creativity, and drive from our community never ceases to amaze me. Let’s keep up the great role playing!
Without further ado, here are your 2017 nominees in no particular order…
Continue reading Congratulations to all of our 2017 Squiddie Nominees!!!
That’s right–now that the Tournament of Simulations is completed, it’s time to turn our attention to Ongoing Worlds’ pinnacle award: The Squiddie (aka The Ongoing Worlds Medal for Superior Online Roleplaying). Each year we present Squiddies to three different entities: one person, one sim/game, and one club. Squiddies are bestowed for exemplifying one or more of the following characteristics, primarily during the previous calendar year:
- Excellence in role playing: Outstanding role play or leadership performance far above and beyond the typical person, game, or club.
- Originality and innovation: Using a new technology or innovation or combining existing technologies together in a new way to elevate the role play adventure
- Facilitating the community experience: Enhancing interaction, cooperation, and/or collaboration among role players to improve or advance the community
You can read about past winners here: 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 Continue reading It’s 2017 Squiddie Time!
Hear ye! Hear ye! It’s time to announce the winners of the 2016 Tournament of Simulations (ToS). For those who may not be aware, ToS is an annual competition, sponsored by Ongoing Worlds, where role play games of different clubs and genres compete against each other in a friendly manner for several awards. The original tournament was held back in 1999. For this year’s ToS, each participating sim submitted 10 posts that were written sometime during 2016. The posts were then evaluated by three judges in three different categories on a 1-10 scale: Story, Characters, and Readability/Grammar. The final scores were then adjusted based on the individual judge’s respective averages and standard deviations to adjust for both hard & easy grading judges and judges with small & large ranges of scores.
As I say every year, evaluating sims is a subjective art, and this is certainly true with ToS. We’re not here to identify the best games as this is impossible. Instead, we’re here to identify what we think are outstanding role plays that exude excellence. A different set of judges may very well chose a completely different set of winners. And that’s okay! With that said, it’s time to finally announce our winners… Continue reading 2016 Tournament of Simulation Winners!
How many of you make use of the Chatbox up there in the corner of the site? Judging by what I’ve seen I would guess not very many. Which is a shame because I think there is real potential for better roleplay, for getting your game noticed, and for meeting new people if it was used.
So, with that in mind, I have set up a Discord server for Ongoing Worlds, and it would be great if people could start to join. Continue reading The new OngoingWorlds Discord server
Editor’s Note: This article was published shortly before Pokémon Go’s February 16, 2017 Gen 2 update.
The mobile application Pokémon Go was released a little over seven months ago today. Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know what a big hit it was. Indeed, almost immediately it broke multiple download and revenue records for mobile apps. Continue reading Online Role Players & Pokémon Go
The Trustees of the Simming Prize are honored to announce our latest laureates:
* Charles Star of Independence Fleet – For his unprecedented contributions to the simming community. As a founder and long time leader within Independence Fleet, Charles has personally sponsored the launch of 21 sims and commanded 10 within the club. During his time as IDF CinC in the early 2000s and as Chief of Fleet Ops from 2010 – 12 he oversaw exceptional growth within the club. More recently, Charles has been a primary a leader within the larger simming community, serving as the administrator/coordinator for SciWorld, FallFest, the Tournament of Simulations, and the Squiddie and OWCH awards. He is a member of the OngoingWorlds Board of Advisers, and has been the instigator of community wide April Fools jokes. Charles is also a storehouse of simming knowledge, and has been a primary contributor to the Roleplay Wiki and the OngoingWorlds Blog. Continue reading Announcing the latest Simming Prize laureates